Thursday, September 16, 2010

Thursday Review: Weight Loss Programs

I'm not currently on an official weight loss program right now. I have tried many.

Weight Watchers: I tried the point system. It worked great. It was something that I could "see". I was allotted my points according to weight and height. I think I gained points when I exercised too. I liked the weekly weigh-ins and encouraging meetings. The first week family was in town and we ate out almost every day. I looked up the restaurants' menus and calories, etc. I ate disciplined and enjoyed the food. I actually lost weight even though I ate out lots that first week. You can buy their food from the grocery store. I didn't like having to pay for meetings, etc.

Jenny Craig: I loved the food. It was expensive though and could only buy it from them. Plus, you had to buy fresh fruit and vegetables and some snacks. It was nice to have a weekly weigh-in and one-on-one time with a consultant. I lost weight but couldn't keep up with paying for the program and the food.

Adkins Diet: I loved being able to eat a lot of meat, eggs, and fat. And some veggies of course. And water. The first while it was hard not to eat any bread or sugar, etc. but got over it. I lost most of my weight and kept it off from this way of eating. I didn't have chronic heartburn anymore. I had more energy. But things happened in my life that I didn't continue and went back to eating anything.

Recently there was a study that came out that studied people over 20 years. Some on a low fat diet and some on a low carb diet. I think weight loss was the same, keeping it off, etc. But cholesterol was lower in the low carb people in the long run. Did you know that it never has been proven that a low fat diet lowers cholesterol...it is just accepted as fact. And doctors have developed these low carb diets. Interesting.

Everything in moderation I say. Plus, exercise. And lots of prayer.

Until next time...

2 comments:

Steve @ Weight Loss Diet said...

I have known some of have lost weight with weight watchers but have gained it back similar to other programs.

Miss Crys said...

Yeah. I've known people on all sorts of programs who have lost. Some kept it off, some gained it all back and then some. I think it just has to click one day in your own mind and make good decisions. I'm trying to concentrate on being healthy...not necessarily the weight loss. Some skinny people aren't healthy and some overweight people are healthy.

Good job on your own weight loss journey Steve!