Monday, August 04, 2008

Prayer and Fasting

Here are tidbits from Step 5: Prayer and Fasting of Greater Health God's Way by Stormie Omartian

--Fasting is a discipline that God designed for each one of us to bring us into a greater knowledge of Him, to release us into more fullness and power of the Holy Spirit's work in our lives, and to bring us to a point of greater health. Fasting can alter our lives in such a way that we are able to move in new freedom, new closeness to God, and new unity with our fellowmen. I want all those things, don't you? Of course you do!

--Why do we hesitate? I'll give you two reasons: ignorance and fear.

--The mere idea of fasting often elicits responses like "strange," "offbeat," "fanatical." But it should suggest words like obedience, deliverance, wholeness, communion, discipline, and health.

--Matthew 6:16

--We, as believers in Jesus who take seriously the written Word of God, must do our fasting unto the Lord to honor, worship, and glorify Him.

--We get so prideful that we don't want to deny ourselves anything, but the truth is that we are much happier when we do, and so much richer when we do it all to the glory of God.

--He is calling all who are able, to fast and pray. Not just a few, not just the pastors, not just the elders, not just the authors or the teachers, not just men and women over fifty-five, but all adults who acknowledge Jesus as the Son of God and abide with HIm in their hearts.

--Even though the motive for fasting must be spiritual and the spiritual results are the most important, the physical benefits are monumental.

--We must always keep the body controlled by the spirit. Fasting is an effective way to do this.

--Self-Control is a fruit of the Spirit. Loss of control is a seed of the flesh, and Satan has a field day with it. Also see 2 Peter 2:19

--...supposed to be a ministry, not a misery.

--Isaiah 58: 6-14

She also lists other benefits of fasting, along with suggestions and guidelines for fasting.

She suggests first starting off missing one meal. Then a 24 hour fast, 36 hour, etc. 24 hour fast once a week. Then a 3 day fast twice a year.

She also suggests reading and preparing for a fast.

I did a 24 hour total or "normal" fast (with water) last week. This may sound weird but it was easier and harder than I thought. I really enjoyed the time with the Lord and depending on Him. Blake was gone so I didn't have food tempting me at all except in my head. I could tell I usually eat when I would not rather be doing dishes, etc. When I would feel this way I knew it was time to spend some time reading the Bible or praying because that was my purpose of fasting. I did a bit of shopping which was a temptation of some sweets at the checkout. I started thinking "I did a little bit that's enough", but I didn't give in. Stormie Omartian did say if you fast for part of a day and your motive and time with the Lord was right, that is all that matters. It's not about just abstaining from food.

I tell you this just to explain my experience and attempt to glorify God.

Anyway,

I have been eating better I think. It hasn't been a huge problem since we don't have much junk in the house and I've been buying tons of fruits and vegetables. For dessert today I had a couple pitted dates. They are so sweet. I cannot eat too many of them or I get a bit bloated. Cucumbers and blueberries have been good too.

I also did one of Denise Austin's Fit and Lite that we DVR'd in March. I really enjoyed it. It combines a bit of stretching, yoga, cardio., all in a half hour (including commercials). I have found 2 days that I like so far 3/4 and 3/6/08. We also walked the dog to and from Jill's last night.

I really like Denise Austin's workouts. I found one of hers for women who are pregnant at a thrift store for $1.50. I thought I'd try it out the other day. I did alright, but I'm not even pregnant. I think it would be a bit tough if you started the workout after you get pregnant. It was kind of funny seeing 3 pregnant ladies working out in leotards. It was from 1990! ha! (She was pregnant with her first child.)

Our new neighbors are moving in. I'm not sure what they do. The one guy I met just graduated from college I think (law). He will have a roommate. Then next year his younger brother will move in also. I hope they aren't loud partiers. It would be great to have good neighbors. The old ones were good. They just outgrew the house and yard. They had lots of vehicles, boats, kids, etc.

I hope we can be a blessing to our new neighbors.

Until next time...

No comments: